K-12 EDUCATION IN BOSSIER-SHREVEPORT
- 121 Kindergarten thru 12th grade schools
- Average student to teacher ratio of 15.4 : 1
In addition to the traditional programs, the region provides various other educational choices such as Magnet systems, science- and religion-based programs, and independent study programs. Local school offerings for both K thru 12th grade students consist of:
- 93 Public learning institutions
- 15 Private learning institutions
34 – public schools serving the district
22,760 – Total school enrollment for 2017
- Bossier schools are accredited, scoring higher than the international average of all school districts evaluated in 2015-16 by AdvancED.
- Bossier ranks among the fastest growing school districts in Louisiana with an ‘A’ letter grade.
- The district is a state leader in Advanced Placement (AP), both in the number of students taking AP courses.
- Students accrued nearly 7,000 college credit hours in 2015-16 from Dual Enrollment and AP courses, a tremendous savings to parents.
- The Senior Class of 2016 was awarded more than $22.8 million in scholarships and TOPS dollars.
- Bossier Schools is nationally recognized for supporting military children; a full-time Military Student Liaison is in place and special programming offered to military-connected students.
- As one of the fastest growing public school systems in the state, we are in our fourth year of a $210 million construction program to build new schools and expand others.
- Neighborhood schools are our strength. Honors and Gifted classes and the Talented Arts Program are offered at each school.
- A strong emphasis is placed on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) in K-12, with an increasing focus on the arts. Students are provided numerous opportunities to compete.
- The district emphasizes community service and was named the 2015 Community Partner of the Year by the Bossier Chamber of Commerce.
- 12 Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence
- 78 National Board Certified Teachers
- 38 Nationally Board Certified Counselors
- 7 Nationally Board Certified Psychologists
- 49 Nationally Board Certified Speech Therapists
- 5 Milken Educator Award Winners Largest JROTC Unit Nationally